Tuesday, July 20, 2010

tool in l.a. 7/18/10 review




9/10 stars
One of the world's best bands playing in their hometown earns a 9/10 stars for a tremendous all-around effort.

The good: Sound in venue was amazing. Played in the Nokia Theatre - same place they just had the Espy awards. I felt like how a grandparent feels when they hear a Bose radio for the first time. I had the cheapest seats, didn't matter.
I'll go song by song here:

Third Eye: Opener. Fifteen minutes of 'holy shit I'm glad I'm here, I need to up any sort of talent I have in any aspect of anything, this is the amazing.' Maynard's scream halfway through made my spine shift, vocal effects and all.

Jambi: Probably the worst played song, looking back. But that's like saying which cupcake of a fresh batch of Susanne Deloach's carrot cake cupcakes is the worst.

Ions: This isn't a song. It's just some weird noise thing.

Stinkfist: The crowd pleaser is always fun. No exception here.

Vicarious: Played slower than on the cd. He doesn't sing the part at the end which is the best part. I get why he doesn't do it, but still.

Right in Two: For Tool nerds like me, this was a surprise. Hasn't been being played this tour. Love this song. So I was double happy pants for this.

Schism: Always good. Another crowd pleaser.

Flood: Another one for the Tool nerds. Also hasn't been played this tour. The loudest song of the night. The visuals were really cool of water flooding the place, love it.

Forty Six and Two: a Tool staple. Wasn't expecting to get that giddy, but I got way giddy. I think they were trying to blow the speakers towards the end.

Lateralus: Song is so good I almost hate it. They brought out the drummer from the opening band (band was called Rajas. They sucked bad. But the drummer was good.) Maynard said "could you guys hurry up and finish this drum solo so we can go pick out some hookers?" kinda funny-ish.

Aenema: Best song of the night. I was ok with it being over after that. Sort of. The 'fuck retro anything fuck your tattoos' part was so visceral, he sounded like a machine. Then the 'i'm praying for rain' part he sounds like the angel gabriel or something. So, so good. They 'hey hey heys' at the end were all snakey and creepy, then they basically blew up the stage and I got all freaked out so I just ran back to the car and went to Jack in the Box.

The bad: The fans. Least appealing people ever. Angry, mean smelly guys. Ew. Price to pay I guess to see a band I really like.

The ugly: The fans. Except me of course, I'm so great.

*Trying to be objective here, though this is one of my fav bands. The last time I saw em I'd give em a 6 so this was really nice. Maybe cause they're from L.A. they had a bunch of friends in the audience they were trying to impress.

No comments:

Post a Comment